Pages

April 26, 2013

DIY: Framed Memo Board



In an effort to get more organized and to clear out some closet space, I wanted to use this frame to make a memo board for my office (a ridiculous work in progress). I used to work at a frame shop so there were tons of deals that I couldn't pass up, so I have a closet full of unused frames. Having these frames around has worked out so far because I change out our wall decor seasonally, but I am in desperate need of more storage space, so it's use-it or lose-it time!

I have always loved this particular frame so I had to snag it when it went unused for a custom frame order and went on clearance. The old world style just doesn't jive with the decor in our house, though, so I had to bust out the spray paint and switch up the look a bit (don't hate me, Mom!).
frame with paint
I sprayed a quick layer of primer, followed by a couple of coats of the white gloss paint. 
painted frame
I bought an unframed cork-board at a local craft store for about $15. I wanted it to have more of a fabric, memo board look, than the look of actual cork. I had some coarse linen fabric leftover from a previous project that I wanted to glue on the surface of the cork to get that fabric texture. 
tacky glue

I worked in 8" sections applying craft glue with a clay roller and applying the fabric, one section at a time, to avoid air pockets and to allow the time I needed to work without the glue drying. I could have used spray adhesive, but I forwent it for a couple of reasons: (a) spray adhesive dries much faster (b) spray adhesive is SMELLY (c) spray adhesive goes on transparent so you can't tell if you have complete coverage. 
Glue Spread
After the glue was dry, I slapped a quick coat of paint on the fabric to match the room and let that dry. 
Then I stapled the cork board into the frame. 
 Finish it like a framer

What you will need:
  1. ATG or Double-Sided Tape
  2. Craft Paper
  3. Safety Blade
  4. (2) 40 lb D-Rings with screws
  5. Felt or Rubber Furniture Protector Pads
  6. 40 lb Framing Wire
  7. Wood Putty 

  • Apply tape around the outside edge of the back of the frame, then adhere the craft paper to the tape.
  • Crease the craft paper along the outside edges of the frame. Cut along the crease using the safety blade. I like to run the edge of the blade at an angle on the outside edge and slice through the paper.
  • About 1/3 from the top of the frame attach the D-rings using a drill.  
  • Push about 5" of wire up through the bottom of the d-ring and then pull tight behind the remainder of the wire
  • Feed the short end of the wire through the top of the d-ring and pull tight
  • Wrap the short end of the wire around the long end about 6-8 times and trim the end
  • Do the same on the other side of the frame, remembering to leave a couple inches of slack in the wire so that it doesn't snap or lean forward off the wall. 
  • Adhere 1 small furniture pad to each bottom corner and use the wood putty to fill in any gaps in the join of the frame. The more ornate frames tend to need a little more putty love. 
  • HANG IT UP!






No comments:

Post a Comment