Pages

October 29, 2014

When Life Happens: Building Our Home

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

Let’s start by stating the obvious: I have been away…for a WHILE, a year or so. Holy crap, how time has flown. So what’s with the sudden drop off the face of the earth? Life.

Life happened. A lot of it. Last I left you, we were building a new house and had sold our old house. So let's talk about our journey to get into the new house, because getting you up to now would be an epic novel.

March 2013. After an exhausting number or conversations and FINALLY being properly insured (properly = not $900 a month and a lower deductible than $5000, so I guess properly = affordable), Tony and I decided it was a good time for a baby, if there is such a thing. We had been married 2 years, together 8 and were financially stable and as emotionally ready for a baby as you can be. So with little reluctance, we tossed the birth control and just went for it (I'll spare you the gory details).

June 2013. STILL not pregnant. The home-building industry was going BANANAS and Tony's company was growing fast, so we quickly decided to build a new house and sell our current house.

July 2013. We signed the paperwork and handed over a deposit check after selecting the best of the 3 lots. Excited and terrified, we just jumped. Within days of signing that paperwork, there was a Realtor sitting at my kitchen table, telling me how much he thought my house was worth, while I choked back big, fat, who-do-you-think-you-are-this-is-my-blood-sweat-and-tears-we-are-talking-about tears (not so successfully, I might add. Pretty sure our Realtor thought I was a basket-case.). We had one number in mind and he had another, much lower, number in mind, and so we listed in the middle. A few nights later,  I came home to a "For Sale" sign in my yard, five days after that, we had 5 offers and a closing date. Also, STILL trying, and STILL not pregnant.



August 2013.

We packed up all of our crap into 2 storage units. Believe me, not matter how nice you think your stuff is when it's in its proper place, it all looks like crap when it's crammed into a storage unit.



We said goodbye to our first home, the home we put so much work into, the home we lived in when we got married.


I am not a sentimental person, Tony will attest to this fact. I don't keep things around the house for sentimental reasons, I don't typically cry when I leave things behind because there is always the new thing that lies ahead. But the thing is, the new thing that was ahead was several months of the two of us and our two dogs invading my mother's house and the thing that I was looking forward to looked like this:



October 2013. All this time we have been trying to get pregnant and were unsuccessful. Apparently my body was just waiting until we were moving/living with my mom to really give in to the idea of procreation, because.....yep I was pregnant. I got a sinus infection and my first instinct is to medicate the crap out of myself and hide under the covers until illness passes, but I thought better of it and went ahead and peed on a stick. Sure enough, clear as day, TWO lines. So I rolled my eyes, said, "Of course" and soaked in the irony of it all. Later, when the reality of it finally arrived, so did the excitement. Excuse me while I show you my womb.


In other exciting news, the house was looking more like a house:


November 2013. Our baby is looking more like a baby!


All the exciting things are going up in the house. The cabinets, counters and the wood flooring is under that layer of paper on the floor.


The tile that took us FOREVER to decide on and ultimately choose all white (I'll wait while you pick your jaw up off the floor....):


 The brick, stone, siding and cedar:


December 2013.  The winter happened. 


I spent a lot of time willing the gas man to come out and install our gas meter so that we could finish our wood floors. See...you need the heat to acclimate the floors so they can be scraped and stained, but the heat has to be on for a week so that can be done. For me, in December, a week was like an eternity. I don't know if you know this....Christmas is only 4 weeks into December...and I don't mess around with my Christmas tree. We were originally trying to scrape things together so we could be in by December 10, but that pile of ice on our front yard made that a no-go. It may be pretty in the picture and look like snow...no...I should have rented some ice skates...that is a 4" block of ice you are looking at on our driveway. People here in Texas don't have the resources to deal with this...so everything shuts down until it melts, boooooooo!!! Tony got on the phone and begged and bargained and pulled his builder-y strings and we finally got some stuff moving. He even got out a shovel and scraped away a path so that the appliances could be delivered. I can't tell you how much he was my hero this month...more so than usual. 18-week pregnant me was pretty much a basket-case at this point. Then progress was made. We finally closed on the house on December 13th, 9 days before I had to host Christmas Eve dinner! 




We are so happy to be in our house and have no plans of moving any time soon. We love our home and we HATE moving!! There is still a lot more to catch everyone up on...but for now, the home-building portion has come to an end. All that's left to do from here is move in, decorate and grow a person until May. 






No comments:

Post a Comment